So our dryer gave up the ghost several weeks ago. 🙁 My youngest son took it apart and planned to use the drum as a nesting area for the chickens (a place for the hens to lay eggs). But then he left the disemboweled appliance on the front porch for a week so I claimed. I figured the drum would make a neat compact composting bin. The circular shape would allow me to mix the contents by rolling it and the holes on the bottom would let air in, which I think helps the stuff break down.
So my youngest daughter and I rescued the drum and dryer top from the Garden of Broken Dreams– an area of the yard where broken stuff is laid to rest until it can be disposed of properly or given a new purpose. We found a nice home for the soon-to-be compost bin along the fence.
Over the summer, we neglected our okra plants so the okra grew into fibrous stakes strong enough to take out a clan of vampires. I put them in the pressure cooker thinking that would turn them into mush for the chickens. These jokers wouldn’t soften for nothing. So I reassigned them to the compost bin.
We layered the grass, okra and a few other items from the inside compost bucket (it’s an ice cream bucket we keep on the counter for food scraps) until it was full. I mixed the contents of the bin around with a pitchfork.
To finish, we put the dryer top in front of the opening to keep any varmints for making a home. My daughter was a big help with this project. This project was super simple since my son handled the toughest part– disassembling the dryer. I think there might be another dryer in the The Garden of Broken Dreams and if there is, it may find new purpose as compost bin #2.